Free Public Transport Broadcast

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Polish Surgery



I’ve met many of Edinburgh’s 7,000 Polish workers in recent months, including bus drivers, factory workers and carers. Many believe they are not being afforded the same rights as everyone else. Following representations from various quarters in this important community I have agreed to hold this surgery. Health carer Grzegorz Rybak (pictured with me above) has agreed to help me and to provide translation services.

There are around 7,000 Polish workers in the Lothians and I believe there is evidence some unscrupulous employers are exploiting their lack of knowledge of the minimum wage legislation for example to short change them.

I also understand there are particular problems with housing and with council tax. One bus driver I spoke for example told me five of his friends have to share a tiny flat in Bathgate.

The surgery will take place on March 8th at 19.30 in the CWU offices, 15 Brunswick Street, Edinburgh

Czwartek, 8 marca, godz. 19:30, klub CWU, Brunswick
Street 15 (przezcznica Leith Walk) Edynburg

1 comment:

George Dutton said...

Colin wrote...
"There are around 7,000 Polish workers in the Lothians and I believe there is evidence some unscrupulous employers are exploiting their lack of knowledge of the minimum wage legislation for example to short change them."

It`s called capitalism and NEW Labour love embrace cherish and worship it.